If you have to lose a tooth, it can be comforting to know that in some cases Dr. Carroll can, in one appointment of about 2 hours, remove your hopeless tooth, insert a dental implant, and, that same day, attach a crown you can chew with and smile with. With the type implant we use, there is generally no need to wait for months to get finished.
In cases where your implant cannot be placed in our office, we can refer you to a specialist in nearby Jonesboro for insertion of the implant, after which Dr. Carroll will finish the case by attaching a porcelain crown to the implant so it can look and function like a real tooth.
We offer free consultations on implant cases, so it won’t cost you any money to find out if an implant is the right solution for your dental problem. Just call us at 870-892-4413 and we’ll schedule a short consultation appointment with you.
Benefits of dental implants include:
- Implants can’t get cavities! For people who have had problems with cavities in the past, it can be nice to know that your investment in an implant can’t be lost due to development of future tooth decay.
- Implants are very strong, and have a five-year success rate around 95%.
- Implants are single, free standing tooth replacements, not tied to your other teeth to support them. You can floss around them and brush them and just treat them like a real tooth.
- Implants can preserve the look of your gums. When a tooth is removed, and not replaced, the bone that once held the tooth slowly “melts away” over time. As the bone goes away, the gums that cover the bone also shrink away, often leaving a large, unsightly “void” in your mouth. Placing an implant after a tooth is removed can cause the bone to stay like it has always been, so your gums look much like they always have.
- Implants don’t require attachment to neighboring teeth, the way bridges do. It’s nice to just have a single tooth, standing on its own like a natural tooth. It saves having to involve your other teeth to replace the missing one.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I get started?
The first step is a comprehensive examination of existing teeth, bone and gums. This allows for an accurate diagnosis and discovery of the potential solutions to your condition.
During the first visit, we will perform a visual examination and evaluate X-Rays. Then, we can recommend treatment solutions, and help you determine the most appropriate treatment for you.
Is the treatment painful?
The surgical placement of dental implants is done under local anesthetic (numbing) and causes little or no discomfort. Post-operative discomfort is generally easily controlled with a combination of over-the-counter Advil and Tylenol. Depending on the extent of the therapy, many persons return to work the day of their surgery. Most patients report that they were much more comfortable following the procedure than they had expected.
How safe and successful is the treatment?
Modern dental implant treatment is highly successful, with a five-year success rate over 90%. Despite the overall high success rates with dental implant treatment, there is still the possibility of failure due to various factors and conditions, such as poor healing power, poor bone quality, smoking and diabetes, and most important of all, poor oral hygiene. Yes, you still have to brush them and keep them clean! No medical treatment can be guaranteed 100 percent without risks and failures, but dental implants are considered very safe and reliable.